To view the Frequently Asked Wedding Questions « CLICK HERE »
What are the Santa Barbara Historical Museum hours of operation?
- Monday: CLOSED
- Tuesday - Saturday: 10am-5pm
- Sunday: 12pm-5pm.
- The Museum is also closed on National holidays and some local holidays.
Is the museum wheel chair accessible?
- Yes. The Museum has an onsite parking lot with handicapped parking spots and ramps up to the museum entrance and down to the historic adobes. All galleries are located on the first level and there are no stairs inside the galleries.
Is the museum a historical building?
- Our museum is housed in a steel reinforced concrete and adobe structure built in 1965, constructed in the adobe plaster style using bricks that were made on-site. The museum property was previously a Santa Barbara Gas and Electric Company site during the turn of the 20th century.
- The adobes adjacent to the museum building in our lower courtyard are historic. Casa Covarrubias was built by Don Domingo Carrillo using Native American labor in 1817, while the Historic Adobe was built around 1831 at 924 Anacapa Street, and moved to its current location by John Southworth in 1924.
I have questions about Santa Barbara History
- If you have any questions about regional history, please contact our Director of Research Michael Redmon via the contact on our Gledhill Library page, or at (805) 966-1601, extension 105. Mr. Redmon has been with the museum for more than 30 years and is an invaluable resource; you may visit him in the Gledhill Library Tuesday - Friday from 10am-4pm and the first Saturday of the month from 10am-2pm.
I'm interesting in doing research on my family. Do you have any information?
- Our Gledhill Library has thousands of photos, maps, and documents related to Santa Barbara history. Please stop by the Gledhill Library, located on-site, Tuesday-Friday from 10am-4pm and the first Saturday of every month from 10am-1pm. Research fees and copying fees apply.
Photo shoots or painting opportunities?
- While photos for personal use are allowed, you must contact our Rentals Coordinator about commercial or wedding photo-shoots, or if you are looking to paint in our courtyards, at the contact link under Venue Rental on this site, or at (805)966-1601 ext.115
How do I arrange a tour?
- To arrange for a free group tour contact contact link or (805)966-1601 ext. 108
How can I get information about renting your facility for an event?
- To arrange a site tour, request a date, and inquire about rates, please contact our Rental Coordinator at the contact link under Venue Rental on this site, or by phone at (805)966-1601 ext.115.
How can I become a volunteer?
- There are many opportunities to volunteer at the museum. To select a field of interest and to apply, please fill out a Volunteer Application at the Front Desk.
How can I donate items?
- To donate photographs, maps, documents, video footage, audio recordings, and other printed matter, please contact our Director or Research, Michael Redmon at the contact link on our Gledhill Library page or (805)966-1601 ext. 105.
- To donate historic objects, fine art, or other items, please contact Curatorial Department at the contact link on our Permanent Collections page or (805)966-1601 ext. 104.
What are the benefits of being a member? How can I join?
- Members of the Santa Barbara Historical Museum enjoy invitations to private lectures, seasonal galas, special exhibition openings, and monthly events. Membership begins at $50 at the Individual Level and increase from there. To become a member or renew your yearly membership, please contact our Director or Membership, Jeanne Buchanan at the contact link on our Membership page or 805-966-1601 ext.110.
Who should I contact with media inquiries?
- Please contact Dacia Harwood, Director of Marketing at (805) 637-6783 for immediate attention. A press kit and professional images are available by request at this contact link